Re: Glenwall Wall Mount Toilet Installation
Posted by John Scates on March 03, 2003 at 22:14:13:
In response to Re: Glenwall Wall Mount Toilet Installation
Chris:

The first thing that comes to mind is a question: Are you planning to mount it on top of drywall? I would suspect that this unit requires a substantial anchor to the wall. Even if you have sufficient studs and structure behind the drywall to bolt the toilet to, the drywall will eventually crush to a powder and leave you with a loosely mounted unit. You may have to build out a wood structure from the studs out flush with the surrounding finished wall, so that the entire back side of the toilet rests against solid wood or brick.

You could then mount a thin "splashboard" on top that extends some distance beyond the toilet, providing both a functional and professional looking finish. The toilet bolts could be mounted through the splashboard, providing that it is solid wood, not more than about 1/8" thick.

Good luck,
- John

: I'm installing the (Glenwall) American Standard Wall mount toilet and am seeking some advise when doing the final stages. I already have my closet carrier installed (Zurn Z1212), w/ my waste flange out 5/16th inch and my four support bolts out 2 1/8" each {both dimesion are outside of the finished wall}.

: My wall carrier came with a neoprene seal, which mounts onto the back of the toilet, then butts up to the waste flang/horn.

: Question(s): Do I just continue to mount this directly to the wall. When doing so, it seems as though there is still more "wiggle room" than I care to have. How can I make this more secure? Also, how tight should I tighten the mounting bolts? (I assume just past hand tight).

: Wall mount toilets are more common in a commercial application, so I can't find much documentation on the do's and don'ts for these residential types.

: Any insight is appreciated.

: Thank you.

Replies to this post
There are none.