Replacing Closet Flange
Posted by John R on February 19, 2003 at 17:08:22:
I hope I can make this clear, so here we go:

Was replacing a horrible 1.6 gal toilet this weekend with a Kohler Wellworth (got a decent review in Consumer Reports and picked up both pieces at Lowes for $105 or so and seems to flush VERY well after installed).

Anyway, when I removed the old toilet, I discovered the following:

1. The area where the metal portion of the flange is "attached" to the floor was not cut out very well. The bathroom subfloor is 3/4" OSB and is quite chipped around the flange. In fact, several screws did not even go into anything since the OSB is so poorly trimed out.
2. The plastic part of the flange that is over the metal part of the flange was cracked. More clearly, this is the "lip" on the flange that sits inside and partially on top(?) of the metal portion of the flange. I was forced to peel about 180 degrees (1/2) of this plastic lip off of the flange since it was just hanging there.
3. The exisitng flange is about 3/8" below the existing top of tile floor (requiring the use of 2 wax rings).

I ended up just putting 2 wax rings on the toilet and installing it. However, it was an SOB to level due to the uneven metal flange.

My question is, how do i REMOVE the existing plastic flange that extends down into the drain pipe (which is 3" I think). I assume is was glued to the main drain pipe, and I can't figure out how to remove the plastic flange without removing the ebtire subfloor in the area and connecting to the exsiting drain pipe by dutting the main drain and splicing into it. I plan on removing the existing subfloor when I do a major remodel, but that won't be for a few months or years. Either way, I want to know how I remove the plastic flange from the existing pipe. I want to do this right, prefering to not just bolt on a new flange to the existing since this area is such a mess.

If I can't do this work myself, any idea what a pro plumber would charge for this work (removing and replacing flange-I could do the subfloor work myself I am sure, as well as finish floor (tile or vinyl-not sure yet)).

I wish I would have taken a few pictures while I had the toilet out.

Thanks for your help.

John

Replies to this post