Re: Sealing closet flange hub to slab soil pipe stub without welding the joint with PVC cement
Posted by Lonnytheplumber on February 11, 2003 at 00:41:30:
In response to Re: Sealing closet flange hub to slab soil pipe stub without welding the joint with PVC cement
: I am about to install a hub-style closet flange to the 3" PVC soil pipe stubbed out of a concrete slab.
: As owner/builder I am reluctant to permanently weld the flange hub to the stub with conventional PVC
: cement as it would be near-impossible to replace the flange in the future without breaking the stub.
: Moreover, there is a subfloor built over the slab on sleepers topped with substrate and tile making access
: to the stub area impossible without major floor surgery!

: QUESTION: Would a reliable seal against waste water and sewer gas be obtained by applying a
: generous fillet of silicone sealant after the hub is set over the stub (without PVC cement) -- the fillet
: would be between the top edge of the 3" PVC and the ID of the flange hub. I appreciate that silicone
: doe not bond well to PVC and wonder if there might be some better material to use for this purpose.

: Replys will be very much appreciated.

Glue the flange. You will get stink even if you don't get a water leak. We seldom replace a plastic flange unless it has a metal slip ring.
Be sure to anchor the flange to the floor. We do have to replace improperly set flanges. We don't have to break concrete. Cut a notch in the side of the flange and peel it off with wood chisels.
Lonnytheplumber

Replies to this post
There are none.