Re: Sealing closet flange hub to slab soil pipe stub without welding the joint with PVC cement
Posted by hj on February 10, 2003 at 08:24:10:
In response to Re: Sealing closet flange hub to slab soil pipe stub without welding the joint with PVC cement
If you do not cement the flange to the pipe, you are almost guaranteeing that there will be a leak that will damage your wood finished floor.

: I am about to install a hub-style closet flange to the 3" PVC soil pipe stubbed out of a concrete slab.
: As owner/builder I am reluctant to permanently weld the flange hub to the stub with conventional PVC
: cement as it would be near-impossible to replace the flange in the future without breaking the stub.
: Moreover, there is a subfloor built over the slab on sleepers topped with substrate and tile making access
: to the stub area impossible without major floor surgery!

: QUESTION: Would a reliable seal against waste water and sewer gas be obtained by applying a
: generous fillet of silicone sealant after the hub is set over the stub (without PVC cement) -- the fillet
: would be between the top edge of the 3" PVC and the ID of the flange hub. I appreciate that silicone
: doe not bond well to PVC and wonder if there might be some better material to use for this purpose.

: Replys will be very much appreciated.

Replies to this post
There are none.