Re: Copper Corrosion
Posted by Gary Slusser on February 05, 2003 at 09:15:05:
In response to Re: Copper Corrosion
: All I know (with respect to the code) is that when I had the PVC pipe with a sweep up to grade where we thought they would tie in the copper at the time of construction, the inspector made the plumber install a copper sweep from the house to below grade to tie into the PVC (it is poly vinyl chloride installed here).

: Thanks for your comments

Then I'd go back to the inspector with a copy of the new NSF 61 and your copper content results and ask his 'advice'. You don't fall under that unless you use the sales lady's test result but, it shows a correlation between copper content and the water quality run through the pipe, for argument's sake. Then I'd change the copper regardless. Or at least, if it's not already, I'd put it inside conduit to isolate it from soil and creating an electrical ground. There's nothing you can do to limit/stop the copper corrosion if you can't treat the cause between the well and the inside the house. You can remove/reduce copper with a water softener, but that doesn't save your plumbing before or after the softener if the water is aggressive; which I suspect it is regardless of your pH readings saying otherwise. If you get back with more information later, start a new thread so I see it. I usually don't scroll back much farther than we are now.

Replies to this post
There are none.