|Posted by Gary Slusser on February 03, 2003 at 22:37:35:|
|In response to Re: Copper Corrosion|
: : : The magnesium anode was soldered to the outside of the pipe and is buried 3 feet below grade. The water quality people who sold me the softner have tested the pH on site and said that it confirms the labs readings. They have done this three times and are therefore not recommending an acid neutralizer. The independent salesperson who came over once, tested the water only one time from one place came up with the 6.5...so who's right? She instantly went into a pitch on and A.N. filter. following about 25 lab ph tests and 10 tests on site, the pH is believed to be closer to 7.0 than 6.5 (at least by myself).
: : That causes more questions. What do you think she should have done? IYO, why have the labs and those 'water quality people' not come up with the cause? Who suggested the anode rod thing? I've been in business for 15 years in central PA where we have some very aggressive water and I have treated a fair share of it but I've never heard of any magnesium anode being buried and soldered to a pipe. I'd like to know more about that. But then, since it doesn't seem to be working I guess I don't need to. You wouldn't happen to have copper tubing outside and down the well would you? If so is it underground in a conduit or buried bare?
: The magnesium anode was suggested by a corrision engineer when telling him about my problem. The poly phosphate filter was suggested by the people who installed my water softner. I ran the tests myself independently to see what the levels of the copper were since it seemed to hit so quickly following construction. BTW, when we installed the anode just last week (so we don't know if it is working or not yet), we cut into the copper pipe and saw that the inside was blue/green and eroding. This was within the sweep just after transition from the PVC from the well. This is telling me that the problem is either the corrosive soils (solution:anode) or the water chemistry. If it is the water chemistry, then it is likely doing the corrosion throughout the system (solution:poly phosphate or AN filter).....we will see I guess...I'll give it a couple of weeks then test the water again.
You should replace the copper ahead of the poly phosphate cartridge with plastic. Let us know what the next tests show. Until then get a small pinch of Georgia Marble and see if it dissolves in a glass of your raw water (with no phosphates in it). If it does, buy the AN filter and take the phosphate thing back.