Re: Any warnings for installing copper water lines?
Posted by nicktheplumber on January 13, 2003 at 23:36:43:
In response to Re: Any warnings for installing copper water lines?
In some jurisdictions (such as mine in the SF Bay Area) PVC/CPVC pipe is not approved for inside the house use, though it is allowed for supply runs to the house and for outdoor applications, such as hot tubs. Your locale may permit it indoors. The only real advantage I know of (besides cheapness and ease of joinery)is that PVC/CPVC are more resistent to scaling if your water is high in minerals. Otherwise, copper is much better: stronger, more resistant to high temperature, smaller outside diameter for a given inside diameter, and, in the opinion of a lot of folks, looks better (if assembled correctly). There is still some unsettled question about whether CPVC leaches out certain chemicals into the water, but this is probably not a real problem. There used to be some concern about the lead in soldered copper joints, but newer solders are lead-free.

: We're getting ready to have our house built and the plumber is going to install copper water lines instead of PVC. Knowing very little about plumbing, are there any drawbacks I should know about this? We aren't sure what kind of water quality we will have since we have yet to have our well drilled. Thank you.

Replies to this post