Re: air vent problems?
Posted by Karen on December 30, 2002 at 10:16:36:
In response to Re: air vent problems?
: :first look and see if there is actually a vent, perhaps someone who added the second bath over the years? was too lazy to run a vent stack through the roof, good place to start is attic, or look at roof and fiogure out whats for what, could also be undersized vent

: whikle looking in attic, vent should be within a few feet of toilet/bath above. go in attic if you can and look above bathrooms for pipe to go through roof, should be 3 or 4 inch pipe, but undersize could be whatever the slacker threw in

: they can combine toilet, sink and bath into one big vent but i dont think its allowable to tie 2 seperaTE bath into one vent stack if they are far apart

: gotta do some leg work and post findings

ok, it appears there is a 3 inch vent above the small bathroom and that is the only vent. The baths are about 20 - 25 ft apart. Can't really see it from where I can view in the attic....chimney blocks view and it would be difficult right now for me to get right up in the attic, a crawl space basically. Of course, if it becomes absolutely necessary, I will! The house was built in late 70's and only two residents before us. It's hard to imagine that this problem existed all these years and was just "accepted". It sort of gives me hope that it may be a simple case of something partially plugging the pipe! Any help you give is greatly appreciated!

Replies to this post