Re: Vibrating pipes
Posted by Jim Conklin on December 17, 2002 at 20:24:49:
In response to Re: Vibrating pipes
: : Sounds like you have an airlock or a valve seal that is not seating correctly, airlocks can be cured by forcing water in the oposite drection (From the cold tap directly to the hot tap for examle) though be careful that you don't flood the loft!
: : If it is a valve seal that is not seating, you need to get either a new valve, a new seal of a valve seating tool.

: I, too, am having the same problem. Could you please explain this in greater detail? Specifically, could you explain (or direct me to other resources that do) what a valve seal is, where it's located, and how to replace it.

: Thank you very much,

: Andrew

In an old house we remodeled, we had problems with noisy pipes when the water was shut off quickly. We were told the noise was called 'water hammer' and it was caused by the sudden stopping of the flow of water through the pipes. It was described as being something like a car running into a wall. The solution was to install some kind of a cushion for the water to bang into. Many years ago, when most house piping was steel or copper pipe, a short vertical section of pipe, maybe 12-inches long, was installed near a fixture. The pipe had a cap on the end, and it had only air in it. When there was a surge of water, the water tried to push into the column of air in the vertical pipe. The air would compress a little, then stretch out again as the water pressure returned to normal in the pipe. Later, little gadgets were made that looked something like a child's top. The pin end screwed into an adapter fitting near the fixture. Inside was a rubber diaghragm which divided the large part of the top into two compartments. The compartment neart the pin end could fill with water from the pipe. The compartment on the other side of the diaghragm was for air. There was a valve like the one on an automobile or bicycle tire where you could attach a pump. You could pump the air into the chamber until you got enough pressure to absorb the energy of the water surge.

I have been told that neither the vertical pipe nor other water-hammer deadeners are used anymore. I suppose the plastic pipe most people use for their water distribution systems is soft enough to absorb the surge energy without noise.

Replies to this post
There are none.