Re: basement drain covers
Posted by Glenn on November 26, 2002 at 08:43:44:
In response to Re: basement drain covers
Although Bell housings are no longer up to code, they are still made. In fact, the Home Depot has several sizes and materials (cast iron and PVC) in stock. Most Bell housings will "gurgle" themselves clear of the water (that is supposed to keep sewer gasses out) in a matter of hours.

: That cup is not to keep stuff out of the pipe, it is a bell trap that is now illegal. Since it cannot be used, legally, anywhere, there is no reason for any manufacturers to make them. Most of those covers had a hinge at the side so they could be tilted up, but could not be lost, or removed, as long as the hinge pin was in place.

: : OKAY! lOOK, I'M DESPERATE! I HAVE BEEN SEARCHING FOR YEARS FOR DRAIN COVERS TO REPLACE THE RUSTING COVERS ON THE DRAINS IN MY BASEMENT. THEY ARE VERY OLD, CAST IRON AND DISAPPEARING!! I HAVE BEEN TO EVRY PLUMBING SUPPLY PLACE I CAN FIND AND CAN'T FIND REPLACEMENTS. THERE MUST ....MUST.....BE SOMEONE OUT THERE SOMEWHERE WHO KNOWS WHERE I CAN GET THESE THINGS! THEY ARE JUST FLAT, ROUND COVERS WITH HOLES THAT FIT OVER A BASE. THERE IS A INVERTED CUP UNDER THE COVERS TO KEEP DEBRIS OUT OF THE PIPE. IS THERE ANYONE OUT THERE?? HELLO!!! HEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLPPPPP!!!!!!

Replies to this post
There are none.