Re: Septic smell in upstairs of new house
Posted by John Scates on November 23, 2002 at 23:11:43:
In response to Re: Septic smell in upstairs of new house
Do you have an air conditioning system in the attic? I have seen some plumbers route the condensate drain to the roof vents. The smell could be coming in through the a/c drain.

Solutions? a) run the condensate drain elsewhere. Mine are routed to a bathroom sink, entering the drain system between the underside of the sink and its trap (upstream of the trap). b) build a "trap" in the condensate line between the a/c unit and the vent and keep water in the trap (it will dry out in the winter).

: Hi, Terry,

: We just moved into our new home last week and there has been a recurring septic smell coming from the
: master closet and bathroom. Believe me when I tell you, IT'S STRONG! It comes and goes, though.
: We thought at first the venting pipe which leaves the house right at that point was cut too low and possibly
: prevailing breezes were directly the exhaust back into the ridge line vent and then it was permeating thru
: the ceilings in that location. We extended the length of that pipe, but it made no difference. The plumber
: we hired is of NO USE whatsoever. Claims his job was perfect and it can't be because of anything he
: did. We were living in an apartment over the garage while this house was being built, and that apartment
: used the same septic system. We had no problems whatsoever there, nor do we have any problems
: anywhere else in the house (or outside around the tank and drainfield.) Do you have any suggestions
: as to what the problem may be?

: Thank you.

: Kind regards,

: Diane

Replies to this post
There are none.