Re: water heater rumbling
Posted by John Scates on November 23, 2002 at 22:23:33:
In response to Re: water heater rumbling
I'll bet you have a gas heater. You probably have an accumulation of minerals in the bottom of your hot water heater. When the water reheats, it "boils" briefly through the minerals. The bubbles then collapse when they reach the "cooler" water above, creating the rumbling noise. This is "normal" in some areas, particularly with old water heaters. I agree with hj - not dangerous, and may not clear up by drain/flushing the heater since the minerals may be adhered to the tank wall.

: It is not dangerous, draining will not help it, and it may start leaking one of these days and solve the problem for you.

: : Please help! For the last month, occasionally, our water heater (at least that's what we think it is) makes this rumbling sound. This happens after I have taken a hot tub bath and pretty much used all the hot water. Doesn't happen every time or even most of the time...but it seems to do it when we use most of the hot water up.
: : What should we do? It is about 10 years old. Should we drain it? Or just let it go? It's not dangerous, correct?
: : Appreciate any help you can give me.

: : Thanks!

Replies to this post
There are none.