Outside drain backing up into basement
Posted by LAL on November 20, 2002 at 10:43:01:
Greetings...

My basement is about 3.5' below level at the back of my house. The land slopes down from high in back to low in front. There is a door leading out of my basement at the back in a concrete pit about 7' by 3'. Just outside this door is a drain that leads to a gravel pit. This whole pit is covered where rain does not fall directly into it.

Here's the problem. Water will rise up out of this drain and flood my basement level. Water is NOT flowing out of my yard and into the pit where the drain is. This has happened only twice in the 4 years I've been in the house: Hurricane Floyd and recently when we had over 7" of rain in one morning. So it's not a common occurance. But when it happens...... *sigh*

What can I do to fix the problem? I cannot close off this entrance. It's the only entrance big enough to the basement where the water heater, furnace, washer/dryer are located. I talked with a plumber about installing a backflow restrictor drain, but they didn't seem to think that would correct the problem. When I asked them why, they made vague sounds, insisted it wouldn't work and didn't answer the question to my understanding. Maybe they didn't believe me when I said water is not coming off the ground into that area, who knows.

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated. Hope I explained this clearly enough. Thanx!

Replies to this post
There are none.