Re: American Standard Smart Valve runs
Posted by hj on November 18, 2002 at 07:59:28:
In response to Re: American Standard Smart Valve runs
The only difference between discarding the Smart Valve when the toilet is installed or after it fails is the time that elapses. It is about the poorest valve ever installed in a new unit, and the only reason I can see for them using it instead of a Coast or Fluidmaster is that they must be able to purchase/make them for a couple of pennies less. It is the valve, not the 2000 Flushes.

: I have an AS Smart Valve 1398 installed in a tenent's apartment. She finds herself unable to turn the toilet supply valve off/on, even if her life depended on it.
: The first week she moved in, the Smart Valve started acting up. After a flush, the tank will fill, but the valve does not shut off. This happens 2 or 3 times a week, not every flush. The Smart Valve had been in there a year without problem. The only difference is this tenent put in a 2000 Flushes Blue.
: To stop and reset the valve, the supply must be shut off then on. Flushing does not reset it. I have taken the gasket and rod out, rinsed, reinserted and tightened the cap. I have lowered the waterline from 1/2" to 3/4". All to no avail.
: Since this unit is still under warranty, should I get another one, or go with a Fluidmaster 400LS? Could the 2000 Flushes be the problem? If so is the damage already done?

Replies to this post