Re: problems connection valve body
Posted by Gary on November 17, 2002 at 19:52:17:
In response to Re: problems connection valve body
Sounds like you may have over-tightened it and split the brass tail,,,very hard to see, but take it apart and inspect it closley,,,,,,,not sure what a convertible tailpiece is, sorta sounds like a 1/2 union,,copper threads/solders into tail and a larger nut slids up over the assembly and secures it to the valve body,,(ground joint connection made with a 1/2 union)

I am installing a new shower faucet assembly and am having some problems with it. I have sweating all connections and no leaks there. I expected some problems with the sweating of the pipes since this was my first time doing this but that all went very smoothly.

: I am have a great deal of diffeculty with the connection to the shower valve body. Where it is connecting to the water supply line I have sweated a male fitting onto the pipe. I need to connect this male fitting to the Convertible tailpiece that came with the faucet kit. It is a two piece assembly that has a female tread piece about 2 inches long that you screw into the male addapter. This piece is then connected with a mounting bolt which attaches to the valve body. (the lower fitting is slipped into the upper fitting)

: I can not seem to get these to pieces not to leak. I have tried teflon tape and pipe joint compound. I get leaks with both. The leaks are at the connection to the valve body and where these two piece are slipped together. One thing I have noticed with this two piece is that 1) the male fitting I sweated on does not fully screw into the one tailpiece no matter how much I tighten it. 2) that on this tailpiece piece that there is a gap of 1/8 inch between where the treads end inside the piece and were it lips out to form at straight smooth area. 3) that there is a little movement when I just place the two tailpipe pieces together.

: With the tape I got a drip and with the joint compound I got a steady stream.

: Any suggestions that you think would help

: Thank You Karen

Replies to this post
There are none.