Re: Old garage/floor drain
Posted by hj on November 16, 2002 at 08:24:25:
In response to Re: Old garage/floor drain
I doubt that it was connected to the sanitary septic tank because the oil and grease that would have been drained would have poisoned the septic tank. More than likely it drains to a pit in the ground somewhere.

: Our house is about 50 years old. Our capped garage has a floor drain that that we discovered while breaking up concrete in an area of the garage(it is in a pit and was covered up with dirt and oil). It probably has not been used for 15 - 20 years. I would like to put it to use again, but I do not know where the pipe drains to (when we tore up our basement floor 5 years ago to accomodate a basement bathroom and laundry, I did not see this pipe connected to the sanitary outlet at the foundation). We are on city sanitary sewer now, but the house was once on a septic system many years ago. I put a hose in the pipe and ran water. It backed up after a few minutes. When I turned the water off, it drained after a little bit.

: Is there a way I can figure out where the pipe goes? I checked with a plumber that has a video system, and he wanted $250 minimum (the use of the drain isn't worth that much to us). The drain will only handle about a total of 5 to 10 gallons a year from garage run-off. Anyone have any suggestions?

Replies to this post
There are none.