Old garage/floor drain
Posted by Steve on November 16, 2002 at 02:45:50:
Our house is about 50 years old. Our capped garage has a floor drain that that we discovered while breaking up concrete in an area of the garage(it is in a pit and was covered up with dirt and oil). It probably has not been used for 15 - 20 years. I would like to put it to use again, but I do not know where the pipe drains to (when we tore up our basement floor 5 years ago to accomodate a basement bathroom and laundry, I did not see this pipe connected to the sanitary outlet at the foundation). We are on city sanitary sewer now, but the house was once on a septic system many years ago. I put a hose in the pipe and ran water. It backed up after a few minutes. When I turned the water off, it drained after a little bit.

Is there a way I can figure out where the pipe goes? I checked with a plumber that has a video system, and he wanted $250 minimum (the use of the drain isn't worth that much to us). The drain will only handle about a total of 5 to 10 gallons a year from garage run-off. Anyone have any suggestions?

Replies to this post