Re: Basement bath
Posted by Deacon on November 15, 2002 at 20:44:35:
In response to Re: Basement bath
: I have an older home (1950) and am looking to install a basement toilet in what is currently a laundry/shower room. However, the current layout warrants a description of the fixtures along the drain line...

: The current shower is a 3x3 one piece fiberglass unit that is set on top of mortar and wood; the waste water does not drain into a p-trap or pipe, but rather onto the tiled floor below the shower and into the floor drain (which is about 1.5 feet in front of the shower opening). A wood platform rests over the floor drain so shower occupants do not have to step into the drain.

: Next to the floor drain is a vertical vent pipe (2", cast iron); at the ceiling, it turns 90 degrees, runs about 5 feet, then exits to the kitchen above.

: The adjacent utility tub drains into the vent pipe about one foot above the floor.

: The next fixture (approx 4 feet from the utility tub)is a 2" cast iron drain pipe from the kitchen above. This vertical pipe rests behind a door jamb which serves as an entrance to a bar. A cleanout is located at the base.

: About 3-4 feet into the bar is the 3" cast iron main stack with a cleanout at the base. At this point, I'm assuming the drain line turns 90 degrees and runs out to the front street to the city sewer line.

: My intention is to put a toilet between the utility tub and the kitchen drain pipe, but I am unsure what the size of my drain line is below the concrete, and I am leery about breaking up the concrete. Is it possible to use the main stack cleanout as an access for a 3" toilet drain? My thought is to attach a 90 degree bend at the cleanout, then run about 5 or 6 feet of 3" pipe from the bend to the area where the toilet flange would be located. I would then simply build a raised floor in the bar and by the toilet.

: In essence, I would have a raised toilet, which would not be undesireable if what I am proposing is a viable option. Sorry for the lengthly description, but any constructive feedback would be greatly appreciated. Cost info would be beneficial, too!!! :-)

Replies to this post
There are none.