Re: Installing a Bathtub/shower in a bathroom
Posted by Steven Kahler on October 15, 2002 at 11:57:40:
In response to Re: Installing a Bathtub/shower in a bathroom
Probably the best way to gain access is to rent an electric jackhammer. Your local rental/hardware store should have one they can rent, and it shouldn't be too much money. They rent for about $10.00 an hour.

If you want to install a Tub rather then a shower, then mark where the drain from the tub will be on the concrete, in relation to where the actual drain is. With the jackhammer, you will need to trench that distance, and I would make the trench 6 to 8 inches wide, and 10 to 15 inches deep. (remember, you are going to have to get in there to work with the drain pipe).

Once you have attached the drain, you should get in there and fill the hole with concrete again.

I hope this helps.

Steve

: : Terry
: : I am wanting to finish out an area of my basement that has been roughed in for a shower and a toilet. The
: : floor has been marked with a big X where supposedly the plumbing is for the shower drain, and the toilet
: : drain is capped off. What is the best way to gain access the shower area and how big of a hole should I
: : make? once I get the hole made in the concrete what do I cover the sand with? Can I install a tub instead
: : of the shower by just moving the drain?

Replies to this post
There are none.