Re: Is my builder sizing my gas lines right?
Posted by hj on October 13, 2002 at 22:29:18:
In response to Re: Is my builder sizing my gas lines right?
The length of the piping is one of the critical parameters, but 1/2" is not large enough for many appliances on any but the smallest systems. Do you have an inspector who has to approve the installation before it is insulated or sheetrocked?

: My new house is being built and after inspecting the piping for the natural gas I'm having installed I beginning to wonder whether this guy knows what he is doing. I'm going to have four appliances running off the gas. The following appliances are in the order the pipe is being run to the appliance. A Water heater (40 Gal), the furnace, the gas clothes dryer, and the range. The contractor came in from outside with a 3/4" galvanized line and right above the rafters in the ceiling, before the first appliance, he reduced it to 1/2" galvanized. From the Water heater in goes from one appliance to the next using the same 1/2" line to branch off of. I do not have the appliance BTU ratings but I think I'm safe in assuming that I'm going to experiance a significant pressure drop If all the appliances are in use at the same time.

: I live in central Florida and won't have much of a burner on the furnace but I still think I'm looking ahead to some problems especially this winter. Any comments or advice would be appreciated.

Replies to this post