|Posted by Andrei on October 07, 2002 at 17:55:10:|
|In response to Re: Toxicity of potable water piping: steel, stainless steel, copper, plastics.|
: IF any of them released toxic materials, they would not be permitted in a potable water system.
You know this is not an argument.
Once information becomes available, we rush to ban things, which by that time have done much damage.
America has lived with Polybutilene for very long.
(My background: I live in Lithuania.
We [here in the eastern Europe] have lived with steell for several centuries.
: In addition, any release of materials would be accompanied by a loss of pipe material
Yes of course.
But the relative loss of material is not as great. Yet steel is able to visibly taint the water. And if the rust was toxic, the amount would be deadly. When you think how much of it has already come your way, you might think all the pipes are almost bursting for the loss of material. Surprise... surprise... steel holds for 10, 20, 30, 40 years.
Well, poor quality welding holds less. But thread joints are more durable.
Another reason for durability: steel pipes are so thick... and the protective layer of various stuff accumulating on the inner walls is also thick. Water only seems to be pure...
: but it [led in solder and brass faucets] was still banned as a toxic substance.
The lead was reported to exceed safe concentrations, especially if the tap is not used for 5 or 8 hours. Hardly insignificant toxicity...
I attach a link to this followup.
|Replies to this post|
|There are none.|