Re: Toxicity of potable water piping: steel, stainless steel, copper, plastics.
Posted by Quality Water Associates on October 06, 2002 at 12:48:42:
In response to Re: Toxicity of potable water piping: steel, stainless steel, copper, plastics.
: : Could you say which is the least toxic of these materials when used for ordinary water piping in home (used for drinking and washing)?

: : Are there any studies and specific figures quantifying release of variuos chemicals by those pipes?
: : Where those are to be found?

: I don't know where or if you could find exactly what you are asking for but... the material least effected by the water run thru it, is plastics. Hence its use in varoius industries needing exactly that, like drug manufacturers, the medical community, the water companies (today), gas companies also, food dispensers and producers and many others such as metal plating and electronics. Based on what 'we' know today, you can't go wrong using plastic for potable water lines. Copper is the most widely used but is being found not to be the right choice in many instances. The US EPA and all States to my knowlege limit the amount of copper allowed in potable water. So far there is not so much as a mention of there being any limit of anything from any plastic used for potable water supply lines. Galvanized steel is being phased out in may areas and stainless is not a good choice in many cases where chlorides etc. are present. For some reading on copper try the URL below.

Sorry my URL didn't take... it is:
http://www.corrosion-doctors.org

Replies to this post
There are none.