Re: Mortar bed for jetted tub?
Posted by Steve Dunn on October 03, 2002 at 19:24:22:
In response to Re: Mortar bed for jetted tub?
I have the same concerns. How do you adjust for the hight of the deck where the tub flang rest. Do I add to the overall height to conpisate for the mortar thickness?: : : It's a wet mix. Both mortar and plaster set up very quickly. I like to have several piles that can squish down. If you try to do an even floor of it, the tub may not "set down" low enough. Terry

: : Thanks for the quick response. The "several piles" part makes sense. Should we just eyeball as far as how much to put down? Also, bottom of the tub has a couple of "feet" and some fiberglassed-over boards crisscrossing underneath (for support, I guess). Is the mortar supposed to fill in all underneath the tub and pretty much make support the entire bottom of the tub?

: You are supporting the tub from the bottom. That way the lip that sets on the deck doesn't have to carry the weight. Youl will note, that the bottom of the tub is not that large. Some support will do fine. It doesn't have to be 100%

: : We've tried calling the technical support line at Whirlpool. They have a very nice voice mail system, but apparently no live bodies. :-)

: : BTW, what do you think of using some of the high density expanding foam instead of the mortar? I.e., put the bath in place, and then using the access panel opening to squirt the stuff underneath. Bad idea?

: I prefer the hard stuff to foam. I've used foam, but worry as to whether it will compress over time.

: In either case, it's a good idea to put some water in the tub to hold it down while things are setting up.

Replies to this post
There are none.