Re: Septic Smell from Sewage Ejector
Posted by Rick on September 30, 2002 at 11:06:08:
In response to Re: Septic Smell from Sewage Ejector
The ejector basin currently has an 1 1/2" PVC pipe connected at the top of the basin, which ties into the main sewage line. I assume it was built this way so the only thing that needs to be done is to install the pump, attach the venting and it will be operable. The venting pipe is capped off just above the basin. I am assuming that on the ejection line, they have also installed a check valve. I did determine that the smell is coming from a fitting on this line that will accept a standard garden hose line from the air exchanger / de-humidistat, which is located just above the basin. (currently drains into a bucket) The smell was coming out of this hole in the line. Once I taped it up, problem stopped, however, my intial question still stands, that being, if a check valve has already been installed on the ejection line, would that stop the odors?

Thanks

: You are describing two different systems. If there is an ejector basin, then there should be no line from the inside of the basin into the main house plumbing. Where do you anticipate installing the check valve? If the ejector, and lower level plumbing vents are connected to the house system, then sewer odors can enter the basement that way.

: : We just purchased a 3 year old house. The basement is totally unfinished, but has all the plumbing for a bathroom roughed in, including the container for a sewage ejector. There is a line running from the container into the main sewage line to the septic system. Occasionally, after using the showers on the main floor, there is a strong sewer smell coming from the container. The rubber stoppers on the top cover were loose, so I have made sure the are seated properly in their holes, and will see if this stops the problem. My question is this, if the check valve is installed, should the odors from the main sewage line be able to get into the cotainer?
: : Thanks

Replies to this post
There are none.