Re: HELP!! The inspector says I must use cast iron below grade�K
Posted by EdBreyer on September 27, 2002 at 17:42:17:
In response to Re: HELP!! The inspector says I must use cast iron below grade�K
For some reason my original posting has some extraneous characters - Sorry

ORIGINAL POSTING:
I just checked with our local (part-time) plumbing inspector about how to tie a new bathroom into the existing 4� cast iron sewer line in my basement floor. He informed me that local code calls for leaded-in cast iron below grade (PVC is fine above grade). My problem is that I don't believe I can get a cast iron Tee spliced and leaded into the existing buried sewer line. Doing so would require having some play in the buried pipe so that (after cutting out a section) I could slide the buried pipe back a few inches, drop in the Tee and slide the pipe into the female ends of the Tee.

Obviously there's not any play in a 20 foot section of buried cast iron pipe. It seems to me I'd have exuvate and replace the buried pipe all the way back to the stack through a finished basement room. Well that's NOT going to happen just to comply with some long outdated plumbing code (no PVC below grade).

After nicely pointing out this issue to the inspector he said I could submit an alternate plan which he would review and rule on. So that's where you experts come in. I'd like to get your suggestions as to solutions commonly used in other parts of the country (I'm in the Chicago area). Please provide as much technical detail as possible so he'll know that I've come up with a viable option.

My initial thoughts:

> Use a hub-less cast iron Tee. Will 4� hub-less mesh well with existing 4� cast iron?

> Use a standard PVC Tee with rubber boots and stainless steel bands.

> Use a special - higher grade PVC/Plastic Tee fitting which is specifically designed for below grade. Does such a thing exist? If so what is it called?

> LAST OPTION: Exuvate a couple of inches below the splice area - exposing the spliced-in PVC Tee and then put concrete under it - effectively making it an above grade connection. I would of course concrete it all in after passing the inspection. (I'm joking on this one - I think)

I find it incredible that I'm being told to use cast below grade and that "no one has ever complained about it" - when the new sewer lines they are putting into all our streets are bluish/green plastic. Seems that there's a double standard in place. But I won't complain yet because at least the inspector seems to have a possible open mind. I know that's not the case in many areas.

I'll be EXTREMELY grateful for all your responses!

Thanks!
Ed

Replies to this post
There are none.