Re: Toto Ultramax in Current Consumer Reports: Disappointing Performance?
Posted by Terry Love on September 18, 2002 at 00:00:28:
In response to Re: Toto Ultramax in Current Consumer Reports: Disappointing Performance?

: I noticed that the Toto Ultramax didn't do so well in the toilet tests in Consumer Reports latest issue.

: The Ultramax was listed in the group that didn't clear solids too well.

: The Toto Carlyle was listed as the best of the gravity flush models but below many vacuum and pressure
: assist toilets.

: I was somewhat surprised at the results since the Ultramax is so highly recommended both in Terry's report
: and on this forum and others.

: Could it be that the artificial solid wastes used by Cunsumer Reports do not accurately model the real thing?

: FWIW, I bought a Toto "Ultimate" and it has been working wonderfully. It has yet to clog where the old
: Mansfield No 160 it replaced clogged frequently. (We kept a plunger next to that one.)

: Thoughts or comments?

: Bob

Bob,
I was wondering the same thing.
Many of the products on the top portion of their list do work well.
I and others have always felt that pressure assist toilets perform well.
The Flushmate equipped tanks had just a slight edge in performance over the 3" flush valve of the Toto Ultramax and other G-Max Toto's.
If drainline carry was the "only" thing people were concerned with, rating them would be easy.

However, not everyone likes the sound curve on the pressure toilets.
Some do, and some don't.
I call it the Tim Allen, "Home Improvement" syndrome.
"More Power! Arhgg! Arhgg!"

When you consider that maybe half of the population sits down while flushing, it becomes a real issue.
Maybe in a large warehouse and surrounded by other men flipping levers, it's not a big deal.
But many use their toilet in the quiet confines of their own home and like the privacy and predictability of the G-Max noise curve.

You will note that on their page, they list the Toto Carlyle toilet as very good at waste removal while they list the Ultramax as only "fair"
Both of these models are almost identical in form and function.
What happened to their testing methods?
How can such "similar products" that get the G-Max rating test out so differently on their tests?
It's hard to accept that the highest rated model by plumbers and consumers is only "fair" while the companion model rates a "very good"?

The report I've provided is based on homeowner and plumber feedback.
It's hard to argue with what people truly like.
Terry Love