Re: Replacing main shut off valve
Posted by hj on September 17, 2002 at 23:10:48:
In response to Re: Replacing main shut off valve
IF that was the only thing he could find, he must have been really nitpicking to find something to report on. If the handle was just loose, then a screw or nut should reattach it. If there is a functional problem with the valve then a plumber can turn off the water and replace it fairly easily.

: I'm in the process of buying a condo, and during the home inspection, the inspector pulled the handle off of the main shut off valve, handed it to me, and said "This is not a good thing."
: No water sprayed anywhere, it appeared that the threads on the handle were stripped. This was a rotary handle, not an inline valve.
: What am I looking at to replace this kind of thing? I can do minor internal plumbing work, but I've always lived in apartments, so no experience with outside work.
: I'm assuming the city will have to be contacted to turn off the water at the street. After that, is it pretty cut and dried to replace (Either by myself, or by calling a plumber)? Or is it possible to somehow just get a new handle?

Replies to this post
There are none.