Re: P-Trap alignment
Posted by hj on September 11, 2002 at 08:40:24:
In response to Re: P-Trap alignment
If you visualize the trap as being rigidly attached to the fixture's tailpiece, then the trap outlet can rotate around it to any position necessary to line up with the connection. So, your answer is yes, and it is done quite often when the connection is too close to the drain to allow the strap to be installed "straight", or if the connection is off center by a couple of inches or so.

: Sorry, it's kind of a difficult situation to describe in words. The inlet would be vertical, but the outlet would pass right next to the inlet. I still think "pigtail" is probably the best word I could use to describe it, and the draining water would "loop-the-loop" so to speak. Basically, does the outlet fitting have to be aligned with the trap? Or can it be rotated significantly? 90 degrees? 160 degrees? (180 would be impossible since the inlet pipe would interfere.) In other words, vertical curves are obviously allowed, but can you use the trap fittings to make horizontal turns?

: If you view the crude drawing below in a monospaced font, you'll see what I'm talking about. It should show up correctly automatically in the "comments" box when you submit a follow-up.

: | Drain | [
: F |^^^^^^^|^^^^^^| [W
: R -------\ /------ [A
: O | | [L
: N | |Inlet [L
: T __|_|_________[___To Vent
: / _________________& Sewer
: |-/ |-| Outlet[
: \ \_/ / [
: Trap \___/ [

: : I am not sure I understand your question, but the "P" trap can rotate to any position around the vertical pipe that connects to it. However, the inlet has to remain vertical, so I am not sure how you would install it to not maintain a vertical plane.

: : : Hi,

: : : I'm trying to design a bathroom remodel which involves repositioning the bathtub. In order to get the tub's P-trap to line up with the existing drain branch and vent, I'm tempted to align the trap fittings such that looks more like a pigtail than a "P". In other words, the trap would direct the water away from the wet-wall, but then loop it back towards the wall.

: : : Can I do this? Or does a p-trap assembly have to have to maintain a vertical plane?

Replies to this post