Re: replacing galvinized pipes
Posted by MKM on August 28, 2002 at 02:40:34:
In response to Re: replacing galvinized pipes
Good points. I do not want the pipes on the roof because of the sealing around them problem. I had not thought of the freezing. I have American Family and they will not budge so far. I hope revealing that is OK. My home warantee also said no way! I want to get multiple bids and opinions before proceeding. In the attic the CPVC seems good, because there is no flame to install. Thanks, MKM

: PIping on a flat roof will freeze, even in Phoenix, and even though insulated. For flat roofed houses, I prefer to run the pipes around the perimeter under the eave where they are more protected from cold winds and receive some heat from the house. I have usually convinced the insurance companies that it is cheaper for them to pay at least a portion of the repipe than to pay multiple damage claims when leaks occur. It usually works unless you have Allstate Insurance.
: : I am in Tucson and I am learning more and more each day. I have a flat tar build up roof. so they said I can even go copper on the roof and insulate it. My reference to going overhead is wrong. I think they were refering to the hot water heater relief valve. Oops
: : My inshurance company is not wanting to pay for any of the repair. So this is slowing things down, except for showers with only cold water those are fast! Thanks MKM

: : : Which part of AZ are you in? Around here that is about the only way PEX and CPVC is installed.

: : : : Thanks for the response. I was wondering between PEX and CPVC? I am checking with the codes, but I have been told here in AZ I can not go overhead. I will find out. CPVC glues together, correct? How are the fittings attached with PEX? Do they have fittings for either to attach to the existing galvinized plumbing?

: : : : : Copper or PEX plastic are the two most common materials. It would be difficult to install the new piping under the concrete without making a lot of holes. The repiping is normally done with the new pipes overhead in the attic.

: : : : : : I have a home built in the 50's. I have a major slab leak(hot water). It is all galvinized and is in horrible condition. What is the most widely used and recomended material used to replace galvinized pipes? I have gained access to the plumbing through holes jackhammered in the slab. Thanks MKM

Replies to this post
There are none.