Re: copper sediment in hot water
Posted by hj on August 18, 2002 at 09:16:38:
In response to Re: copper sediment in hot water
It is impossible to diagnose exacty without being at the house. From the little you describe, it would appear that it is rust from some steel item in the hot water system. It could be a steel fitting where the copper is attached to the water heater, or, in an usual situation, it could be the interior of the water heater's tank itself.

: Please help!

: Last year 3/01, I gutted my basement, converted from oil to gas and had a new hot water heater, Rheem 50 gal, installed. Also, I had the steam return line replaced. The house was built in 1937. Additionally, I replaced the 1/2 inch copper pipes in the basement ceiling with 3/4 copper pipes.

: Around June/01, I began noticing the hot water coming out of the kitchen sink orange-colored. I collected some in a glass and let it sit. The orange collected on the bottom of the glass after a couple of hours. I asked my contractor about it and he in turn spoke to the plumber he had hired to install the new pipes. He had no explanation. My contractor suggested it might be flux.

: This is August/02. I believe the problem existed thru the first summer and then returned again this summer. I am concerned because all the hot water coming from every outlet, 2 bathroom sinks, 2 showers, 1 tub, kitchen sink, and laundry room sink, all have the same problem. I am seeing staining on the shower heads, pvc piping in floor of shower drain, shower floor tiles.

: I will be installing all new top of the line appliances in the kitchen, including Sub-zero with ice maker and a Miele dishwasher within the next couple of weeks. I've read that sediment in the dishwasher can cause problems.

: I have also read about home owners not far from where I live on Long Island who got stuck with bad new copper plumbing pipes. Those problems were leaks to the new pipes. And once fixed, they should up elsewhere on the line.

: I tried to feel for density of the sediment with my fingers but it simply gets stirred up into the water and appears as zillions of floating particles.

: If you have any clue as to what is going on, I would really appreciate your advice.

: I contacted my local plumbing supplier where the hot water heater was purchased. They advised me to bring in a plumber and did not feel the problem was the hot water heater, but did say if it was it had a 6 year warrantee.

: Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

: Thank you. Judith

Replies to this post
There are none.