Re: DWV system
Posted by Patricia Whitney on August 10, 2002 at 22:45:59:
In response to Re: DWV system
Okay, I can certainly go along with the idea that it could be another problem, but I don't know where to turn. As stated, a plumber has been here twice. This plumber was maybe 22 years old. His "fix" of installing a new toilet did not fix the problem. Today he decided that it must be a main line problem, but immediately corrected himself and said my private sewer system (called a mo-dad) must be 'Full." When I called the mo-dad folks, they asked if my access valve had a "rotten egg" smell, it doesn't. It smells fresher than the air in my home, quite pleasant. I have never had aproblem with this system. The mo-dad agent said it sounds like a vent problem. I am eager to get to the bottom of this as the lack of a real flush has been going on for 5 years (since we bought the house.) While I appreciate the response, I am still curious about the answer to my question. How does one access the proper vent line when it is within the walls? I only ask because I would like to be prepared for what the next plumber suggests, and tearing out the walls sounds very expensive. I only have one vent through the roof for both bathrooms.

Thanks again, Trish

: I do not think I have ever seen a "real" vent problem in 50 years, unless it was installed improperly and the vent was not done correctly. Therefore, I would also look at a lot of other things before blaming the vent. In addition, the only vent that would have the problem would be the one that goes up through the roof and that one is easy to access from the roof.

: : I am certain based on info from these boards that I have an obstruction in my toilet vent. I found a diagram that you put into a thread that showed how the sink, toilet, and tub vents are joined together within the walls before exitting through the roof. Since my tubs, sinks, and one toilet are operating fine (I have back to back bathrooms), I assume that I may have a blockage in the portion of vent that runs to the toilet with the problem. I have all the symptoms of a vent problem (glurping sound, illusive lazy flush even after replacing the toilet.) My question is this, how does a plumber access the correct line without tearing out the walls? I have already had a plumber here, TWICE, but am now convinced he doesn't know how to fix it, even after I offered the vent as the problem. Frankly I am "plumber shy" after paying the last guy $315.00 for a toilet I likely didn't even need. I have indicated the diagram you previously gave in the optional link URL space below.

: : Thank you for your assistance. This is a wonderful and well planned website.

: : Patricia Whitney

Replies to this post