Re: Hiding undersink plumbing
Posted by Jessamyn on August 09, 2002 at 20:03:31:
In response to Re: Hiding undersink plumbing
: : Back when those sinks were in vogue, you would have been able to find something. Now your only hope is a custom made cabinet to fit under the sink and drainboard.

: : : : Unless you buy new kitchen cabinets, I can't think of anyway that you would be able to disguise the plumbing with any degree of reasonably decent appearance. One could whittle some wood that would cover the stuff, but the sink would still be the old style and there's not too much to do with that. You're probably pretty well tapped for cash after purchasing the house, making new cabinets something for the future. In the meantime, you can clean up the exposed pipes or, if they are really ugly, paint or replace them.
: : : Thanks for the quick comeback. I'm talking about an old farm house with wide biard floors. I really don't want to replace the sink (perfectly good)-- I just need space to store things like toilet paper, etc. -- and I find the plumbing under the sink ugly, so was looking ofr a cabinet that would cover that (right now there's an ugly curtain attached by glue to the base of the sink - I figured a custom-made cabinet that fit around the sink would be great. -- Guess not!??

: Of course, the old-fashioned solution was to make a gathered skirt out of some attractive, washable material. You could probably even use some prefab cafe curtains - K-Mart's Martha Stewart line has some things that would look good there. The easiest way to attach it would be to stick a line of self-adhesive velcro to the inside (underside) of the sink, and stitch a matching strip of velcro to the top of the skirt/curtains. Then they're easy as pie to rip off and toss in the wash.

Obviously I skipped a line when reading your message! Still, I think a new skirt that is, importantly, removable for washing would make you feel a lot better about the way it looks. Get something crisp and white, or some color that will blend with the cabinets, and it'll look better, I promise!

Replies to this post
There are none.