Re: Replacing my 1959 Crane Walson toilet
Posted by Steve Johns on August 08, 2002 at 09:28:03:
In response to Re: Replacing my 1959 Crane Walson toilet
I also have Crane Walson toilets in my house. I've babied them for years and would like to replace the internal refill mechanism. Does anyone know where I can get the parts. Or is it possible to replace the Walson parts with standard parts from the hardware store for standard toilets. Sixteen years ago when I bought the house; after an extensive search, I found a supplier that would sell me the refill valve for $125. Compare that to what you can get at Home Depot for a standard toilet today for $10 or less! I'm afraid to see what it costs today, if it can be found. I have to say that the Walson design is pathetic. The tank is built narrow enough to fit in the wall between standard stud spacing (like the wall couldn't be framed to accept a wider tank, duh!!). And to hold the required amount of water, it has to be about 3 feet tall. It's almost impossible to reach into the tank to replace the flapper valve, or work on anything. The people at Crane should have known that a toilet should be maintenance friendly, no wonder they aren't made anymore.

Replies to this post
There are none.