Re: Filling in and sealing a cistern
Posted by More on August 05, 2002 at 00:24:39:
In response to Re: Filling in and sealing a cistern
12x15x5 feet is 900 cubic feet,and a dump truck of gravel is about 175 cubic feet. Keep the 5 loads coming and don't worry about the cone. The weight of rock will even the cone out as it rises. The 900 cubic feet is 33.5 yards, so if you try to dump slurry concrete mix into it, you'll still need almost four concrete trucks. Keep dumping the gravel into it.

: I'm trying to find the best material to fill in an unused cistern. It hasn't been used in over 50 years
: and is completely dry. It measures approximately 12' deep, 15' across and 5' wide, so it's quite a project.
: I've already filled it with six tons of clear stone (gravel), but it's hardly made a dent. The biggest problem
: is that the gravel is forming a cone shaped pile at the bottom of the cistern and not spreading out to fill the
: edges. It's been suggested that I use a hose to run sand down there. Once it begins piling up I could run
: water down to level out the sand. After a few years of filling in extra sand to make up for settling, it was
: suggested that I seal off the manhole with concrete. Does this seem reasonable?
: Has anyone out there done this before and have some wise advice? Thank you.

Replies to this post
There are none.