Re: leaking main shutoff valve
Posted by Will on July 29, 2002 at 08:03:33:
In response to Re: leaking main shutoff valve
: There is a shut off at the meter. If you don't pay the water bill, that's where they shut you off. It requires a T handle that will mate with the valve. I believe there are several kinds, but I'd check with some neighbors and see if any of them have a handle. This valve will have to be closed to make repairs. If you call a plumber, he will have the necessary handle, or you can have the city do it. A real quick related "war story". Several years ago, the cut off valve that is inside my house had been poorly soldered when the new 1" line was installed and it came completely off! I had big time problems. I tried to use a pipe wrench to turn the rod that went into the main valve, but I couldn't get enough leverage. Meanwhile, my basement was flooding. I reached the city water department and they sent a guy to shut the valve, seemed like it took forever. After having repairs made, I had a welder friend make me a shut off valve handle. I have heard property owners are not supposed to have these handles, but this is a rule that I have no problem breaking.

There are shutoff valves before and after the water meter but the water meter is inside the house and downstream from the main shutoff valve. Is the meter supposed to be underground and outside near the water main? I would rather have the meter outside anyway. I took a walk in the neighborhood and saw next to the sidewalk of a new house that was built a pipe coming out of the ground with a steel ring (resembling a flat closet flange) labeled water and somehow bolted to the pipe. I made a search to see if I had one but did not find one.

Replies to this post
There are none.