Re: Leaking overflow vent
Posted by Terry Love on July 25, 2002 at 12:15:53:
In response to Re: Leaking overflow vent

: : : Hello! Looking for a quick response. This is an e-mail received from our Real Estate agent today regarding our 1st floor condo and would like to know if it's that easy of a fix, or should I be worried before I close escrow? Thanks!

: : : "On Saturday morning at 8 am we found a small amount of water leaking from the fan on the bathroom wall.
: : : We contacted the tenants above us who reported they had just taken a bath.
: : : We then contacted the owner of the unit, XXXXXX, who immediately came over.� He found that the overflow vent in their bathtub was not connected tightly and this had allowed water to leak out.� He repaired the problem immediately.
: : : There was no apparent damage to our bathroom, no water stains.
: : : We closely observed the area the next few days and there were no further leaks and no damage.
: : : XXXXX has assured us that if there were any damage he would be responsible for any repairs needed."

: : Rich,
: : It "sounds like" they fixed it.
: : Leaks from the upper overflow are common over time. Replacing or adjusting the rubber washer works most of the time. Terry

: So this could've been as simple as just tightening up the cover plate that houses the open/close lever for the drain? I'm just really concerened that they haven't seen a repeat yet because no one upstairs has used the bathtub since the incident.

Two ways to test that, are to fill the tub past the overflow, and splash water from the tub spout onto the overflow. You can also direct water onto the faucet itself to see if water gets by.
Because it's standard to cut through the floor, a 8"x12" hole for the drain, water tends to leak straight down. This does a good job ruining drywall, but leaves the wood pretty much alone.
Where wood does get damaged, is if leaks are at the surround, (soap dish location) and water is held against the stud walls. Also if water runs over the edge of the tub and is allowed to pool against it on the floor. Terry

Replies to this post
There are none.