Posted by Stephen Valley on June 22, 2002 at 10:54:08:
Mr. Terry,

I have a plumbing problem as follows: On the hot water side of my water heater I have vertical a 2"
galvanized nipple which then goes into a 90 degree galvanized ell, with in turn goes into a 6" galvanized nipple which connects to a "Transition Fitting". The other side of the "Transition Fitting" connects to CPVC which is run through out the house. The problem is every two years the Transition Fitting begins leaking where the rubber washer is located. I have cut new fittings in but they continue to leak every few years. I cannot find the rubber washer therefore I have to purchase the entire Transition Fitting at about $5.00 and keep cutting the CPVC. I have used hard (Stick Type) pipe dope as well as Teflon Tape. I am tired of checking my hot water heater to see if it leaking even though it has a pan. I simply do not know how to permanently cure this leaky "Transition Fitting".

Any assistance which you could provide would be appreciated.

Thanking you in advance.

Sincerely Yours,

Stephen Valley

P.S. I even ran CPVC straight to the galvazized pipe but it began leaking probably because of the heat.

Replies to this post