Re: Watts 009 Backflow Valve
Posted by Nelson Sellers on June 06, 2002 at 17:57:05:
In response to Re: Watts 009 Backflow Valve
: : I have a couple of Watts 009 Backflow Valves on my lawn irrigation system. One of them started spitting water out of the bottom when I started up the system this spring. There is currently no reason for this to happen (pressure is correct on the supply side). I'm about to buy the repair kit, but was wondering if I need to rebuild the relief valve assembly, the two check valves, or all three?

: Have you taken the check valves out and inspected them? Sometimes a good cleaning is all they need. It sounds to me like a leaking check valve,and I would suspect that #1 check may be dirty.If you haven't taken the checks out before it can be tricky,the checks are made of plastic and can break rather easily,also watch the spring inside the checks,those buggers can fly a mile and are hard to find.

: My Watts 009M2 1 1/2 Backflow Valve also started leaking water out of the bottom after I re-opened the cut-offs with the handles on each side of the main unit. After taking a closer look I spotted what looks like the "check valve" you described in the straw under the unit. The broken piece is black plastic. After removing the backflow valve and turning it upside down, it looks as if the shaft is broken off flush with the part inside. If I could manage to remove the remaining piece, what needs to go back in it's place? How do you gain access to the broken part? I suspect that one of the irrigation maintenance guys that stopped by to service the unit broke it off and as usual in cases like this, just walked away.

While I'm griping, I find it incredible that I paid $500.00 to have this device installed only 2 years ago. Also, that this impressive brass unit should even have such a cheap plastic part. Watts Inc. should be ashamed.

Replies to this post
There are none.