Re: Cutting into existing drains for leak test
Posted by hj on May 07, 2002 at 08:24:20:
In response to Re: Cutting into existing drains for leak test
You are misinterpretting what he said and trying to make it harder than it is. He is saying that at the point where you make the connection for the new plumbing, you have to install a temporary plug, usually a "balloon" plug" is a "test tee" with a screw thread opening, in the new piping. Then fill the new pipes with water. After the test, you remove the temporary plug, put a pipe plug in the tee, and bury it. As for the unions, you need them to make the connections for the new piping.

: I am moving drains for tub, toilet, and lav, and adding a new shower drain as part of a master bath remodel.

: I was planning on just extending the drains to their new locations -- with proper vents and slopes.

: But I've just come from getting my permits and the guy told me I'll need an inspection with a leak test. He said I'll need to be able to plug the drain pipes downstream from all my new fitting, put caps on my new drain stub-outs, a balloon in the closet flange, and then fill the vent pipes to a ten foot level. Then they will come out and inspect and make sure there are no leaks in vent or drain piping.

: This is all ABS DWV pipe.

: I really didn't want to have to cut into the existing drains and then put unions to put them back together again. Is that the only way ? Or is there some other way to achieve plugging the drain pipes without breaking them open ? It seems ridiculous to break into perfectly good existing drain lines. And how would they know the unions wouldn't leak after the leak test is supposedly approved ?

Replies to this post