Cutting into existing drains for leak test
Posted by Kirk Ellis on May 06, 2002 at 18:16:08:
I am moving drains for tub, toilet, and lav, and adding a new shower drain as part of a master bath remodel.

I was planning on just extending the drains to their new locations -- with proper vents and slopes.

But I've just come from getting my permits and the guy told me I'll need an inspection with a leak test. He said I'll need to be able to plug the drain pipes downstream from all my new fitting, put caps on my new drain stub-outs, a balloon in the closet flange, and then fill the vent pipes to a ten foot level. Then they will come out and inspect and make sure there are no leaks in vent or drain piping.

This is all ABS DWV pipe.

I really didn't want to have to cut into the existing drains and then put unions to put them back together again. Is that the only way ? Or is there some other way to achieve plugging the drain pipes without breaking them open ? It seems ridiculous to break into perfectly good existing drain lines. And how would they know the unions wouldn't leak after the leak test is supposedly approved ?

Replies to this post