Re: Water softener won't quit
Posted by Leo on May 04, 2002 at 16:47:22:
In response to Re: Water softener won't quit
A quick fix is to check to see if there is a water softener bypass line that allows you to shut off all the water to the softener and route the water as if the softener didn't exist. If there is, just bypass the softener until you have time to have someone take a look at it.

On a completely different approach, the valves in all but the cheapest water softeners are operated by a timer. It is entirely possible you unplugged the clock on the softener as it was opening a valve. If that is the case you may wish to plug the timer back in and let it run its course and see if it shuts the water off in a reasonable time.

If all else fails, have someone look at it that is familiar with the unit's operation. Water softeners are not complicated but to diagnose a problem, one must have a good understanding of its operating principles.

: I recently moved into a mobile home where there is a culligan water softener in my bathroom. It wasn't plugged in so I plugged it in to see if it worked. I wasn't sure of the settings and such so I went outside and unplugged it but there is still water running down a plastic tube all the time even though I unplugged it. Is there something else I did to cause this and how do I get it to stop. I didn't turn any water valves anywhere.

Replies to this post
There are none.