Re: the big picture
Posted by hj on April 28, 2002 at 18:45:49:
In response to Re: the big picture
Why do you assume it costs less to run? The boiler has an efficiency rating, which is less than 100%, and then the indirect heater has its own efficiency rating. When you multiply the two of them together, you will normally get a rating that is less than a good tank type or tankless heater.

: I am looking for a gas fired hot water heat/ domestic hot water system to put into a home in a mild climate in france.

: I have recieved estimates from local plumbers using systems which are quite different.

: 1. the first system is a cast iorn boiler with indirect hot water tank from buderus a german maker. (I know this type of system well)

: 2. Other systems include instant hot water systems used either with or without copper indirect tanks of about 40 gallons or more. These are in boxes usually wall mounted

: 3. The 3rd type of system available - but one not yet reccomeded to me is an "accumulator" system. It kinda looks like a typical hot water tank or a small ice box.

: Does anyone know the advantages or disatvantages of using these competitive systems. It appears that the 2nd type does everything the cast iorn system does but cost less to run - in short tecknologically superior. But if this is the case why aren't we using it here in good old USA?

: thanks,

: John Gatti

Replies to this post