Re: How Connect To Bad Threads?
Posted by More on April 27, 2002 at 16:03:30:
In response to Re: How Connect To Bad Threads?

You can use a compression coupling, but it will be susceptible to getting perched upon by birds and squirrels and coming loose when you least expect it while you are in the Bahamas spending the money you think you saved by not contacting a LICENSED plumber to make the correct repair.

The hose bibb nipple is rotted outside where it is exposed to weather, sunlight, heat and cold, but inside the wall it is probably very sound. A LICENSED plumber would be able to evaluate its quality, remove some of the siding if need be, attach an extractor and remove the nipple, lubricate the threads, install a new nipple, and a new outdoor hose bibb.

The same is true about the 1 inch steam nipple that fed the radiator, with the exception that the nipple is likely quite a bit longer (like eight feet) and the 1 inch pipe, its threads and coupling, was exposed to steam heat and condensation that is much hotter than shower water. Do yourself a favor and get an estimate from LICENSED plumbers.

: This message was posted by TomBrooklyn.
: I have a water pipe leading to my backyard but the stub that comes out of the wall is rotted about 3" past the wall where the hose bib used to be. Is there a way to make up something to this stub? Someone told me that there is a compression type fitting that would work. Is that the solution?
: Also, I want to disconnect a 1" unused steam pipe riser that fed one radiator. There is a coupling where I can disconnect it. I am afraid to disconnect it in case the threads are corroded or become damaged. This pipe may be as old as the house which is 95 years. If those threads became unusable for a threaded cap, is there a way to cap this pipe without buying or renting a threading machine? Thanks
:

Replies to this post
There are none.