Water Heaters that go "bump, bump, bump in the night"
Posted by Bill Bourgeois on April 19, 2002 at 08:52:22:
Re: Gas Water Heater with a knocking noise posted by Terry Love on April 07, 2002 at 15:36:38:

Terry:
Thanks for the reply, I will certainly check the heater for the possibility that you mention. My daughter called a local plumbing company and they said that sediment could also be a cause of the noises. The heater is only about 5 years old. Can sediment build-up occur in such a short time and can it cause the noise? If so, how to remedy the condition. Will a simple draining of the heater remove the sediment? What about mineral deposits?

Thanks
Bill Bourgeois

: Bill,
: I have encountered gas water heaters that knock. You may check to see if it's the baffle that fits into the interior verticle tube that acts as a chimmny. If the tanks "leans", and thereby the baffle knocks against the sides, you can shim the tank upright, and hopefully prevent that.
: Then again, that may not even be the problem. But it's one thing you can check. Terry

:
: : Yes they can make noises and the problem is not repairable except by replacing the water heater. hj

: : : My daughter has a gas water heater in her attic. Occasionally she hears a "knocking" noise coming from the attic space and upon investigation is unable to locate the source. Is it true that water heaters can make this noise and if so, what causes the noise and how to fix it?

: : : Thanks
: : : Bill Bourgeois

Replies to this post