Re: main-line break
Posted by More on April 14, 2002 at 22:32:35:
In response to Re: main-line break
You are better off using a clay repair piece at the clay repair. Dig past the downstream bell joint about six inches, rent a clay pipe ratchet cutter at the tool rental yard, cut the bell off so that you have a straight good piece of clay pipe, and buy another full joint of clay pipe, a standard rubber coupling, and a repair coupling. Measure the distance from the cut off repair joint to your new cut, subtract a half inch, cut the new piece there, put the standard coupling on the downstream end, and slide the repair coupling onto the upstream end. Lower the cut joint into the trench, adjust the coupling and lower the upstream end to the existing pipe. Take a piece of chalk, measure the length of the repair coupling, mark half that distance in chalk on the existing undisturbed clay pipe. Tap the repair coupling upstream until you reach the chalk mark, and take a 5/16 socket and tighten the steel bands for a clean watertight repair. If you insert a PVC repair joint, the PVC outside diameter is smaller that the clay pipe, and will require you to use several Fernco bushings inside the rubber couplings.

: My question has to do with replacing some pipe. I have dug down around where a hole in the clay pipe was in my main-line. What I have is about a 3 ft. section that has the bell end and the straight end. The bell end is broken off and completely free of the pipe it was connected to. And the one it was connected to seems o.k. I have chipped down the bad center piece to about half way. What remains is that bad center piece is connected into the bell of another good piece. How can I remove the piece from the bell end by either removing the mortar around the joint, or if I just continue to chip away at the bad piece, will it just fall out? I know I have to power snake or power flush, but after that, can I replace this piece with pvc connected into clay?
: Thank you in advance.
: jvt

Replies to this post
There are none.