Re: TUBS: Cast Iron vs. Acrylic
Posted by suzette on March 29, 2002 at 12:00:21:
In response to Re: TUBS: Cast Iron vs. Acrylic
Thanks! But can you tell me if they easily scratch? What about Ultra brand or is there another that is a top acrylic tub maker? Kohler?

: if the standard depth cast iron tub is too shallow for your use, then acrylic is one of the better alternates. The size of tub you need/want may be a better determinant since a cast iron tub may not come in that size. In any case, be certain that the acrylic tub has a wall flange, or the accessory is ordered and properly installed, if the tub is going to be installed in a recess and the walls are going to set onto the tub, as opposed to being set onto a platform with tile all around it.

: : Help! I can't make a decision and could use some advice. I'm remodeling 2 full baths and need to order all new fixtures. I have cast iron tubs now and will be removing these (too shallow). I've always equated cast iron with high quality however my plumbing supplier suggested a heavy acrylic instead. She suggested the Ultra bath tubs. Ultra makes thermo-masseur baths using air jets. I would order the normal non-jet tubs instead, which they also make.

: : Anyway, I like quality stuff but at good value, and plan to install tumbled marble, frameless shower doors, Toto toilets etc. Should I go with cast iron or acrylic tubs? I should mention that I have 2 little kids. I'm thinking acrylic definitely for their bathroom. Is Ultra a good brand or is there another?

Replies to this post