Re: Sewer gas smell after laundry, and toilet sucks dry
Posted by Beamer on March 27, 2002 at 20:21:40:
In response to Re: Sewer gas smell after laundry, and toilet sucks dry
: Hi I live in modular home that was built in 1973. It has 2 full bathrooms, and a full basement. There are 3 or 4 vents on the roof. One for the kitchen sink, one for each bathroom, and I think there is one for the laundry area, which is right next to the main bathroom. Everytime I do my laundry, and the water drains out of the washer, it also sucks the water out of the nearest toilet, and the next day or two after the laudnry is done I have a strong gassy sewer smell coming from the drain pipe in the laundry area, (Which is right next to my dining table) It is awful, and I am afraid it might just blow up some day!! We have tried getting on the roof and running water down the drains to free them of any debris, but nothing seems to be working. Does anybody have any ideas as to what to do nextr or what our problem is?

Don't have an exact answer, but it sounds like a pluged vent,,,If you run water down the vents and it drains, this sorta leads you to believe that it's not the vents...I would get on the roof, flush the toilet and be sure you can here the water flow (should be able to here it very clear) that's your toilet vent,,,do the same for the laundry,,,should be able to here water, if not cable the vent,,,you also need to be able to see the waste draining,,,find the outside cleanout,or even a cleanout in the basement,,,this will help you see that the water is flowing properly...If you here any glugs in the vents,,you must have a stoppage,,cable the drains or jet with water if there greasy...If it;s been working since 1973 it should work again without having to add a vent.

Replies to this post
There are none.