Re: busted sewer line
Posted by hj on February 16, 2002 at 21:13:55:
In response to Re: busted sewer line
The best way to handle it is to contact your homeowner's insurance company and see if the concrete breaking, digging, backfilling, concrete replacement and floor repairs are covered. If so, then have a contractor do the work and you will only have to pay him for fixing/replacing the pipe itself, and your deductible amount.

: We live in a home with a concrete slab foundation. We have one of those Hollywood style baths and both toliets and the tub share a drain line to the sewer. Most of that line has been replaced with PVC pipe, as it cracked before. Again, we have an instance of all three being stopped up, and have dug the line to the foundation. Of course, we did all the usual things with the router or auger and clot buster to no avail. Once the pipe was expose, we ran the clot buster back up and turned the water on, and lo and behold, water was coming out. This verified that the pipe is busted somewhere between the rear commode and the edge of the house. Our funds are extremely limited at this time, so we will have to attempt to do this ourselves. My question is what is the best way to go about exposing the line in, under or through the foundation to pinpoint the location of the problem. We have successfully completed many homerepair projects before with a little guidance, but this time, I know that we need it. My husband is already thinking about tearing out the bathroom floor to do this and that could lead to nothing but disaster!

: I feel that the problem is no more than 4-5 feet from the outside wall of the house because that's where the rear commode is. It's just had to visualize a bust that you can't actually see. We know that it's a 4" steel pipe. And it runs straight to the commode. Exactly how does that connect and what is the best way to handle it.

: Thank you in advance,
: S. Nelson

Replies to this post
There are none.