Re: Can I make my existing old-fashioned vent stack (no fan) over my bathtub work more efficiently?
Posted by hj on January 24, 2002 at 08:38:10:
In response to Re: Can I make my existing old-fashioned vent stack (no fan) over my bathtub work more efficiently?
Ceiling fans merely circulate air in the room. If will do nothing to vent air out the exhaust unit. The only thing that will increase the venting is either forcing air into the room or pulling it out. A roof top exhaust fan situated over the vent terminal would be the best option in order to retain the existing appearance of the room and can also be sized to give the maximum performance.

: Hi Terry,

: Moisture in the bathroom is becoming a problem in my 90+ year old home. It has the original vent stack over the bathtub in the bathroom, which vents out through the roof. Is there anything that I can do to make the existing vent system function more efficiently on a very tight budget? I may be going out on a limb, but would a ceiling fan (not the exhaust type, they're kind of ugly and I'd like to keep as close to an original look as possible) in place of the ceiling light fixture which is located approximately 3 feet from the vent stack over the tub help to make it more efficient?

: Any direction would be appreciated.

: Thanking you in advance,

: Tammi
: Winnipeg, MB CANADA

Replies to this post
There are none.