Re: Oil Filled Sump Pumps
Posted by Dean Smith on January 08, 2002 at 17:29:14:
In response to Re: Oil Filled Sump Pumps
: I notice that some sump pumps are oil filled. Why is that done? Also, what type of oil is used, and how much of the motor chamber is filled? Thanks for any information you can provide.

I'm no expert, but oil is used in pumps as a coolant. The oil acts as a conduit to channel the motor heat to the metal housing, which in turn is cooled by the water in the sump. Air acts as an insulator, which would keep the heat inside the pump. It's NOT functioning as a lubricant (that I know of), as the bearings are packed with their own stuff (usually grease). How much? I'm sure it varies, but I just had to open the oil plug on top of my Goulds ejector pump (curiosity!), and it seemed to come up to about 2" from the top.

I've never heard of anyone having to change the oil or add to it, as it doesn't get fouled up because it's not getting "worked", it just sits there & conducts heat. Some might leak out, but not usually in the lifespan of sump pumps, and it's usually the better, high-end pumps that use oil anyway, and they have good seals to prevent leakage.

Bottom line, don't worry about changing it for regular maintenance purposes. If a lot has leaked or someone spilled it somehow (curiousity!), contact the manufacturer to find out what to use & where to get it.

Replies to this post
There are none.